Breast Lift Surgery in Cleveland
Also Serving Independence & Westlake, OH
Over the years, factors such as pregnancy, nursing, and the force of gravity take their toll on a woman's breasts. As the skin loses its elasticity, the breasts often lose their shape and firmness and begin to sag. Breast lift, or mastopexy, is a surgical procedure to raise and reshape sagging breasts. Mastopexy can also reduce the size of the areola, the darker skin surrounding the nipple. If your breasts are small or have lost volume – for example, after pregnancy – breast augmentation with breast implants in conjunction with mastopexy can increase both their firmness and their size.
Breast Lift Incision Techniques
Dr. George Picha and Dr. Joyesh Raj will make every effort to make your scars as inconspicuous as possible. Still, it's important to remember that mastopexy scars are permanent. They often remain lumpy and red for months and gradually become less obvious, sometimes eventually fading to thin white lines. Fortunately, the scars can usually be placed so that you can wear even low-cut tops.
Scars are usually located around the areola, in a vertical line extending downwards from the nipple area, and along the lower crease of the breast. Some Cleveland breast lift patients, especially those with relatively small breasts and minimal sagging, may be candidates for modified procedures requiring less extensive incisions. One such procedure is the "doughnut (or Benelli) mastopexy" in which circular incisions are made around the areola, and a doughnut-shaped area of skin is removed.
Breast Lift Procedure Details
Your satisfaction with a breast lift is likely to be greater if you understand the procedure thoroughly and if your expectations are realistic.
- Procedure: Raise and reshape sagging breasts by removing excess skin and repositioning remaining tissue and nipples.
- Length: 1 to 3 hours.
- Anesthesia: Local with sedation, or general.
- In/Outpatient: Usually outpatient. Sometimes inpatient.
- Side Effects: Temporary bruising, swelling, discomfort, numbness, dry breast skin. Permanent scars.
- Risks: Thick, wide scars; skin loss; infection. Unevenly positioned nipples. Permanent loss of feeling in nipples or breast.
- Recovery: Back to work: 1 week or more. Strenuous activities: 1 month. Fading of scars: several months to a year.
- Duration of Results: Variable; gravity, pregnancy, aging, and weight changes may cause new sagging. Results may last longer or be enhanced when breast implants are inserted as part of the procedure.
About Western Reserve Plastic Surgery
At their state-of-the-art plastic surgery facility, Dr. Picha and Dr. Raj treat their patients with the utmost respect and compassion. They are renowned as highly skilled breast reduction, liposuction and blepharoplasty surgeons for their highly attentive care.