Cleveland Liposuction Specialists – Western Reserve Plastic Surgery
Liposuction is a procedure that can help sculpt the body by removing unwanted fat from specific areas, including the abdomen, hips, buttocks, thighs, knees, upper arms, chin, cheeks and neck. During the past decade, liposuction, which is also known as “lipoplasty” or “suction lipectomy,” has benefited from several new refinements. Today, new techniques such as ultrasound-assisted lipoplasty (UAL) and the tumescent technique help our plastic surgeons to provide selected Cleveland liposuction patients with more precise results and quicker recovery times.
Dr. George Picha and Dr. Joyesh Raj, top liposuction Cleveland surgeons, will explain the body-contouring methods that may be most appropriate for you. For example, if you believe you want liposuction in the abdominal area, you may learn that an abdominoplasty, or "tummy tuck," may more effectively meet your goals or that a combination of traditional liposuction and UAL would be the best choice for you.
If your expectations are realistic, you will probably be very pleased with the results of your liposuction surgery. You may find that you are more comfortable in a wide variety of clothes and more at ease with your body. And by eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise, you can help to maintain your new shape.
- Procedure: Improve body shape by removing exercise-resistant fat deposits with a tube and vacuum device. Can be performed using the tumescent technique, in which targeted fat cells are infused with saline solution with a local anesthetic before liposuction to reduce post-operative bruising and swelling. Common locations for liposuction include chin, cheeks, neck, upper arms, above breasts, abdomen, buttocks, hips, thighs, knees, calves, ankles.
For larger volumes of fat or for fibrous body areas, ultrasound-assisted lipoplasty (UAL) may be used. UAL is a new technique in which an ultrasound probe is inserted beneath the skin to "liquefy" the fat before it is suctioned.
- Length: 1 to 2 hours or more. UAL: 20-40 percent longer than traditional liposuction.
- Anesthesia: Local, epidural, or general.
- In/Outpatient: Usually outpatient. Extensive procedures may require short inpatient stay.
- Side Effects: Temporary bruising, swelling, numbness, soreness, burning sensation. Tumescent: Temporary fluid drainage from incision sites. UAL: Larger incisions for cannula.
- Risks: Asymmetry. Rippling or bagginess of skin. Pigmentation changes. Skin injury. Fluid retention. Excessive fluid loss leading to shock. Infection. UAL: thermal burn injury caused by the heat from the ultrasound device.
- Recovery: Back to work: 1 to 2 weeks. More strenuous activity: 2 to 4 weeks. Full recovery from swelling and bruising: 1 to 6 months or more. Use of tumescent technique or UAL may decrease post-operative bruising and swelling.
- Duration of Results: Permanent, with sensible diet and exercise.
About Western Reserve Plastic Surgery
Dr. Picha and Dr. Raj at Western Reserve Plastic Surgery are not only renowned as top Cleveland liposuction specialists, but are also highly recognized for their expertise in other body contouring procedures. At their state-of-the-art cosmetic surgery Cleveland facility, Drs. Picha and Raj help Cleveland LifeSculpt laser liposuction and cellulite reduction patients achieve astounding results that refine the natural contours of their body and improve overall body aesthetics. In addition to body sculpting procedures, they also provide exceptional care for blepharoplasty and breast augmentation patients.